Monday, August 15, 2016

Standing Still


It's not that I am waiting 
For things to finally change 
It's that it still creeps 
Inside the crevices I used to call home 

I don't exist in spite 
I bend and face the will inside 
I don't let go
Only because it's still alive 

Thinking it all for not
Unsure of what is actually real 
How do you tell 
A ghost from a dream 

How do you live with the incomplete 
Like part of you still breathes 
But not in anyway satisfying 
Like it didn't actually happen 

Like it was all meant for something 
More than you actually are 
Something big and grand
But you forget all of that 

As you convince yourself 
You're so much better off than
You weren't living before 
Now you can have it all

It's ripe 
Yours for the taking 
Like handed down from another life 
Given and gotten 

But it's not for free 
You have to release 
What ails you to stay
You have to complete 

Wrap it up
Like it wasn't real
Make yourself steal the lie
So you can survive it 

It's not actually too late 
It all completes something 
But won't be exhumed
It's meant to stay buried

It might seem 
Like bringing up
Facing it head on
Will make it better

But it's just a mirage
One that's easily side stepped
To move along
Not keeping you down 

Confusing as it is 
It's only a step to take 
Something towards life 
Forgetting all that other stuff 

Anything that meant anyone 
I understand 
What it is I have to do
And I am grateful I know where to start 

It's not about them 
Or them 
Or me even 
It's about where I am supposed to be 

Headed there now 
Even though I carry it all
Letting it go 
Changes nothing

Naked 
Stripped of all my excuses 
Life has been chewing on me too damn long
I have ignorantly let it be 

I don't ignore me now 
I don't even fix me now 
I let me be 
As it will all right its self

Like there was nothing do to anyhow 
So don't feel pity
Or fear 
Or complacency 

It's already been walked 
And towed 
And carried 
And known

It actually changes 
Not what I want 
But it will change 
Everything else it's supposed to

And that will be enough 
As the little part of me 
That often speaks 
The absolute truth 

Still is persistent in the telling 
Still makes me turn and face what is 
Strong enough to see it now 
And still tow what's left behind 

Life is not just mere moments 
Or some other cliché 
It's all of it 
Encompassing and fulfilling 

But it's not often clear 
But it doesn't have to be
And running away or towards 
Is often running standing still


April 21, 2016 1:15-1:27 pm at Judy's 

No comments:

Post a Comment